Musings of a Palestinian Princess: Let Us Educate Our Children

Musings of a Palestinian Princess

I'm just your average princess just under occupation...

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Let Us Educate Our Children

Children are our countries future right? If you believe this then we have to try to teach anyone that think guns are cool that they are absolutely not. Guns = Violence = Killing. Bad, bad, bad.

This is where I feel the Palestinian social education needs to be improved. It is amazing how many people here think its normal to allow thier children to play with toy guns, I mean, even my wonderful dearest sister, who is totally sophisticated and classy woman let's her 5 year old play with a toy gun, I don't think so!! I know that they just think its cool, and all the big powerful Israeli soldiers they see on a daily basis are holding these guns and I know that guns are apart of many of the childrens daily lives - they see the soldiers, and many of the "ghetto" people here carry guns, so we need to change this, but the question is, how? Well, I know how to get rid of the ghetto people we have walking around the city with guns - Palestinian Police... But their power is always underminded because when Israel says get out of the cities, they must... So, that solution is shot in that air, so to speak, lol... I will leave that for the real political people and activists, that would be way over my head!

NOTE TO SELF : Go to the Palestinian Ministry of Education website and read up on curricula, etc.

Ok, anyway, we need to education the public that this isn't the appropriate toy. And for the adults shooting in the air isn't appropriate way to celebrate. I forgot what shooting sounded like, until I came back home.

After living in New York City, I was used to the way the traffic sounded at night, as I am getting used to the way shooting sounds at night. This is not normal people! I am so saddened that my children will one day have to endure the sounds of bullets being shot in the air, for whatever reason. That is why I am going to make one of my missions to make guns totally uncool, because they are.

BTW, I took this photo while driving around the city, I had nothing to do and thought I would just photograph, and when I saw these kids, I was like... "hell no, this is exactly what needs to be changed here." So it is my mission to take all the toy guns from the children. Watch out, because I will take your toys away!

5 Comments:

At Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucy,

I just came across your blog & am very interested in reading your opinions on what is going on over there. I am a palestinian from Haifa & living in California. I totally agree with you about the kids & gun issue. All I hear is what is being said in the states which is usually biased, so I would like to hear from other sides as well.

Halla

 
At Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is weird feeling when everyone has gun its true, I was in Israel on a bus when I felt something in my back and turning round found a M16stuck in my back, quite innocently an Israeli soldier was stood away from me but his gun was slung over his shoulder pointing in my back, frightened the life out of me. So I hope you succeed with your mission.

 
At Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Palestinian Princess said...

You guys don't understand how much more I want to keep blogging, I really do hope I can make a difference even if it is just reporting my everyday experiences of living under occupation.

Thanks guys!! And Charlie, what were you doing in Israel??

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 10:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you feel about Hamas gaining control? They are already starting to conceptualise and enforce Shari'a laws.

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's something showing videos of kids and weopans in your area:

www.pmw.org.il

just click the tv-videos part. very sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home