Musings of a Palestinian Princess: Starting Over...

Musings of a Palestinian Princess

I'm just your average princess just under occupation...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Starting Over...

I was watching TV last night (MBC4) and I discovered this show called "Starting Over." Its such an amazing concept as I never heard about Life Coaches or anything, and immediately I thought to myself, I NEED A COACH... Well, since they don't exist in Palestine, I am hoping all of you lovely visitors will help me coach myself.

As you all know, I basically feel STUCK. I had to move back to Palestine after my dad passed away last year and now I am just here... I am not doing anything productive. Life is so slow and so stagnent, I mean, besides from the whole situation, the people who live here have very limited choices. I want to break away from this thinking, I feel that I have just let a year pass by and I haven't accomplished anything, I can say that my biggest project has been this blog.

I was reading about self improvement on the web, and I am coming to the conculsion that letting myself feel "stuck" and feeling like I have no control over my life is part of the big problem. Ofcourse, I can sit and blame the Israeli's for confining my movement and making me feel like I live in hell (they are, but I need to take action not just sit and complain) and I can sit and complain about how backwards the people are here and how I don't have a free social life, etc.

I think the first thing I need to do is figure out my goals... I am going to list my goals even if they seem impossible because of the confinement and what not... Then I guess I will think of action plans and stuff, but here goes my list for the next 25 years...

1) I want to design a life that makes me incredibly happy.
2) I want to start my own business. (I need money).
3) I want to get my masters, maybe PHD.
4) I want to learn French & Turkish.
5) I want to personally evolve.
6) I want to travel the world.
7) Identify my unique talent and strengths and leverage them.
8) Learn how to give people what they want without costing me anything (emotionally).
9) I want to stop over-reacting and respond with sense instead (maybe I can find a husband then, hahaha, Just kidding).
10) I want to write a book.
11) Complete projects not just plan and let them go.
12) Increase my self-esteem.

I probably have more, I just have to think about them... Now, how will I implement these, hmmmm....

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:37:00 PM, Blogger fil said...

Cool - looks like you're on your way to creating the life you want already. Most people don't even get as far as writing the list..

Plus taking responsibility for the situations we find ourselves in can be hard especially when you've got a rough deal. But it really helps when you're trying to progress and grow..

Good luck!

 
At Thursday, April 27, 2006 3:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start with #7 (really hard). Then you can see in what fields to do #2 and #10 (both of which are big lessons in #11!).

99% of us have problems in #12, so don't worry, you're a big shot just for having the audacity to share such big goals!

 
At Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:19:00 AM, Blogger Abu-Issa said...

Hi Lucy,

What do you have your Bachelors degree in?

I feel that if you do something that you love, do it every day and persistantly you will automatically succeed at everything on your list. I understand the restrictions you're under but you have to do what you can.

But as 'anon' before me said...start with #7.

I would like to share with you my personal mantra, say it everyday to yourself without fail when you wake up, then a second time sometime during your day and then finally as you fall asleep every night:

"I will persist, until I succeed"

"I will persist, until I succeed"

"I will persist, until I succeed"

Take your time saying it, pronouncing each word carefully, understand the phrase and internalize it.

You can do anything you want...

Truly,

Abu-Issa

 
At Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:34:00 AM, Blogger Justin Olbrantz (Quantam) said...

Let me just say first of all that I'm new here (hi); a couple things I say may sound really stupid if some of my assumptions (things that I'd know if I'd been around longer) aren't correct.

I can say that my biggest project has been this blog.

That's not so bad. The existance of your blog gives people on the other side of the world a nice glimpse of Palestinian daily life, when international tensions between Israel and Palestine are so high, and conclusions sometimes prematurely drawn.

Ofcourse, I can sit and blame the Israeli's for confining my movement and making me feel like I live in hell (they are, but I need to take action not just sit and complain) and I can sit and complain about how backwards the people are here and how I don't have a free social life, etc.

Is there any possibility of movement out of Palestine? That'd probably be the best solution to several of your problems, if possible.

1) I want to design a life that makes me incredibly happy.

Well, all I can offer you are Peeps; take em or leave em :P

(I need money).

Good luck with that. Maybe if I strike it rich in the pharmaceutical industry I can help you out :P Ahh, dreams. Did I mention I want to cure AIDS and cancer? :P

3) I want to get my masters, maybe PHD.

What in?

4) I want to learn French & Turkish.

At least you already know the prettiest writing system in the world (Arabic), right? The last couple days I've been considering learning it just because of how pretty it is.

8) Learn how to give people what they want without costing me anything (emotionally).

Good luck with that, too. I usually just try to avoid people that look like they might want something from me :P

10) I want to write a book.

Go right ahead. It worked for Baghdad Burning.

11) Complete projects not just plan and let them go.

Bah, finishing projects is overrated. I bet I can beat you at the number of unfinished projects, any day.

 
At Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger Justin Olbrantz (Quantam) said...

So why not start studying French or Turkish tomorrow?

Why not? I've been learning Japanese from this book I picked up (Super Review: Japanese Grammar). Well, to be honest I only was working on that for about a week before the book got buried on my desk, and I haven't seen it since :P

 
At Thursday, April 27, 2006 7:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about volunteering, or working for a local organization?

 
At Sunday, April 30, 2006 12:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucy,
My grandmother once advised me in regards to career and life. She told me to find what was natural to me and do it! It was the best advice I have ever received in my life. I only wish I could have thanked her for that. I found this advice in a letter she wrote to me years before she died. I think feeling "stuck" in life will ease when you finally find what it is that gives you your drive and motivation. I think you have a real talent for writing, you bring such a voice to the Palestinians living under occupation. I just wish you so much luck in all that you do! This is all a natural progression to figuring out who you are and what you want. Welcome to the journey! (and I'm sorry to hear about your father). Just keep reaching for your dreams and goals and you will achieve them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home